Monday 9 March 2015

Women's Day.Happy?

8th March, 2015. International Women's Day. Facebook is flooded with wishes for Women's day. There are status updates and inbox messages. I did one as well. Boys and girls all have googled some decent quotes and shared on their walls. Today Newspaper reads "Happy Women's Day" In bold. But Yesterday the story was different. Yesterday Times front page read, "another Nirbhaya  case seen in Gujrat", tomorrow again, I am certain, more Nirbhayas will be produced. Sick. It's disgusting. Walking alone on a street swamped with males, isn't a very pleasing experience. Has never been. Those eyes, scrutinizing her boobs and ass, rating her down and commenting as she passes by; and that alone isn't enough. Some whistle, some make noise as if they have already had their dick into her vagina. If the girl isn't his desired figure, then god save her from those displeasing comments. And here I am not only talking of those illiterate men who come up from small towns in search of jobs and betterment and are appalled to see women drivers, women waiters, women doctors as compared to a veiled woman hidden in their homes. I am talking of the other half as well. The other educated half who are not ashamed to show their middle finger to a lady passerby. Who show no signs of guilt even when caught leching. And who then on social networking site wish a Happy women's day decorated with emojis. Who themselves are tripling on a two wheeler, driving rash and faced accidents yet are insolent enough to place remarks on the woman driving the next vehicle. Born with an elephant size ego, they can't accept a woman overtaking them even on roads, leave  jobs and rest. Even in this 21st century, I, a woman, is scared to walk alone on empty streets. Scared to ask for help from a group of boys because they don't appear humans that will extend help to a fellow human being; but thirsty animals hunting for a prey to fall into their trap. I am scared as shit. Every day they hurt me for my looks. They hurt me for what I do. They comment on me for being too girly or too boyish. Emotionally I am bruised. My heart aches as they rate me day and night and I can't raise my voice. Because mom says, Let them, or you might welcome scars that might never fade. Let them, keep shush. Let them, else society will talk. Let them otherwise the next moment you will find yourself fighting for your life. Let them. You keep shush...



Is it really a Happy Women's Day?
Pakhi 


Picture by my favorite Nirrimi Firebrace

No comments:

Post a Comment